Friday, February 27, 2015

ATOMIC IS PRETTY MUCH WRAPPED UP

I have finished the rough draft to Atomic.

I have refined it, and had a bit of peer review. It still needs criticism, but currently, I'm satisfied with most of it. The animation is good, my friend is a good actor, and the green screen effects hold up, for the most part. Im am particularly happy with Kellaway, my gilasaur whose face is so well sculpted and realistic, I put him up there as one of my best models.














Remember: when building a monster head, you must try your hardest to get the eyes right(unless it doesn't have eyes, then go for the mouth). The eyes show the creature is alive, has personality, conveys it feelings. For example, Kellaway's eyes are small and the skin around them is pale, suggesting old age. The lack of expression indicates he is a reptile. Eyes are not an afterthought.

Atomic will be shown at the IYSFF, an awesome competition where young moviemakers show three minute long silent films. Though I have entered before, I have never done a film with stop motion creatures. Atomic is the result of five years of making stop motion monsters, and is my first chance to show the audience my monster making skills.

On other news, Ararankha has been fully reviewed by one of my peers, an avid techno-thriller fan, and  gave it a rave review. Though ultimately satisfied with it, the novel is riddled with spelling errors, so don't expect to see it any time soon.

Im not sure what I'll do after that. Certainly have a lot on my mind, when it comes to screenwriting and making movies. But now, Im currently focused on getting everything done.

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it.

Kelston Hubler

2 comments:

  1. Kellaway looks great, and you're dead right about the eyes; that's where I always start. Good luck with the finished film. I'm not much for festivals myself, but that's mostly because I don't have any good ones around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! I used to use clay eyes on my creatures, but I used taxidermy eyes for the first time on Kellaway, and realized it looks that much better. I'm glad I did, competition can be quite intense in film festivals.

    You certainly have some festival-worthy films, shadow out of time, for example. You have a very unique style of aesthetic when it comes to moviemaking, and that is always a good thing.

    Kelston Hubler

    ReplyDelete